Chèvre is the French word for goat, and chèvre cheese refers to cheese made from goat’s milk. Many of these cheeses are created exclusively from the milk of goats and do not include cow or sheep’s milk. Chèvre cheese is extremely common in many places in the world, including France, and more and more, you’ll see delicious types of goat cheese made in the US, with many small local dairies producing excellent cheeses.
At Heritage Homestead, we make both Chèvre and flavored Chèvre which is packaged in 4oz and 8oz plastic containers.
Flavored Chevre’s are all made with good, fresh, goats milk and have a mild flavor. These Chèvres include:
- GARLIC AND CHIVE made with, fresh chives, garlic, buttermilk, salt, vegetable rennet and culture. This cheese makes a great dip.
- ROASTED PEPPER BASIL PESTO made with roasted peppers, basil pesto, salt, vegetable rennet and culture. This cheese is great for cooking, put it on grilled salmon, stuff it in chicken breast, great in quiche and wonderful in pasta.
- SUN-DRIED TOMATO made with a sundried tomato pesto, salt, vegetable rennet and culture. This cheese is great with egg dishes and as a spread on a turkey sandwich.
- GREEN OLIVE made with green olives, salt, vegetable rennet and culture. This cheese is great on a bagel, or as a sandwich spread.
- FIESTA made with a chipoltle salsa, salt, vegetable rennet and culture. This cheese is a little spicy and is excellent on tortilla chips, in burritos, enchiladas etc.
- JALAPENO PIMENTO is Goat milk cheese and cow milk cheese, mayonnaise, roasted red pepper, jalapeno peppers, vegetable rennet, culture, salt, and spices.
- HOLIDAY SPICE is a nice pumpkin cranberry spread. Great on a bagel or crackers. (Seasonal)
Fruit & Nut Chevre
Fruit and Nut Chèvre’s are wonderful crumbled in a salad, on a toasted bagel and of course on a cracker.
- ORANGE CRANBERRY BLACK WALNUT made with dried cranberries, orange oil, black walnuts, vegetable rennet and culture.
- FIG PRESERVES made with figs, water, citric acid, salt, pectin, culture, vegetable rennet.
- GINGER MANGO made with dried mango, candied ginger, salt, vegetable rennet and culture.
Feta is a brined curd cheese traditionally made in Greece. It is used as a table cheese, as well as in salads, pastries and in baking, notably in the popular phyllo-based dishes spanakopita (“spinach pie”) and tyropita (“cheese pie”) and combined with olive oil and vegetables. Feta is sold in 5oz and 10oz containers in the brine.
Gouda is a mild, hard cheese made with cow milk. It’s great for melting in omelets or on a burger. Also great on a cracker with a nice dry red wine.
Local Pick Up Available!
If you are a local resident, you have the option of ordering cheese online and then at check-out, just select the shipping option of “Local Pick Up” and you can pick up your order in downtown West Jefferson. Details will be emailed to you once order is placed.